Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
NACNS is constantly striving for excellence through our passion and active participation in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts by all committees. The NACNS’s goal is to create measurable outcomes and promote a lasting world of DEI within our organization and our communities through:
- Commitment to raise awareness and eradicate acts of racism, discrimination, xenophobia, and oppression.
- Enhancement of the role and understanding of CNSs in diverse communities.
- Accountability in identifying our own implicit biases and working together to understand each other’s preferences, morals, and values.
- Employment of respect and dignity for all human beings and celebrate the uniqueness and diversity of all CNSs.
The committee shall work to integrate DEI throughout the governance structures and membership.
- Skills and Development
- NACNS DEI Achievements & Outcomes
- Community Forums & Network Building
- Committee Members
Skills and Development
Members of the NACNS DEI Committee underwent specific training to broaden their scope and knowledge with creating practices of diversity, equity, and inclusion. The committee believes in lifelong continuing education and is consistently evaluating opportunities to enhance foundational knowledge.
NACNS DEI Achievements & Outcomes
The National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (NACNS) embarked on a journey to actualize diversity, equity, and inclusion within the association. NACNS met this challenge by forming a Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Task Force. Initiatives include understanding the current NACNS demographic, developing a vision and mission statement, and creating a budget. The task force’s work, current diversity of CNSs within the United States, and barriers to diversity in the CNS role are addressed.
NACNS requested the task force be developed into a committee to align the organization’s priorities focusing on DEI efforts to support the communities we serve.
Community Forums & Network Building
Community forums are intended to create discussion and elicit inquiry in regards to DEI topics. Please be respectful and professional in communications.
1. Diverse communities: (not all inclusive)
- Black CNSs
- LGBTQIA+ CNSs
- Hispanic CNSs
- Male CNSs
- Military CNSs
- CNSs in Ambulatory Care
- Indigenous CNSs
- CNS students
- Asian & Pacific Islander
2. Diverse patient populations cared for by CNSs: (no all inclusive)
Jeri Tidwell, Chair
Beckie Kronebusch, Co-Chair
Mary Carol Racelis
Susan Dresser, Board Liaison
- DEI Committee to recommend needed 1. DEI training and 2. integrate DEI strategies within NACNS governance structure (Committee/BOD) and events by end of year 2023.
- Devise a process to solicit more diverse membership opportunities.
- Expand DEI to include CNSs who work outside of the hospital such as primary care, LTC, HH, hospice (Work with Professional Development and Continuing Education to create position statements and education to address these unique CNSs so they feel NACNS represents their interests)
- Continue work related to the dissemination of the DEI survey results and comments by the end of Q3.
- Virtual will create a NPI awareness campaign that is inclusive of our DEI mission no later than Q2 2023.
Other charges and activities may be added as deemed appropriate by board of directors and committee chairs.