The Eleventh Annual NACNS Clinical Nurse Specialist Researcher of the Year Award will be presented during the 2020 Annual Conference in Indianapolis, IN.
The purpose of the award is to nationally recognize an NACNS member for outstanding professional achievement as a clinical nurse specialist (CNS) who has conducted original nursing research that has significantly impacted the art and science of autonomous nursing practice, patient and family outcomes, and/or health care systems. The award acknowledges a nurse for an accomplished sustained program of research that has significantly contributed to advancing theory and practice of the nursing profession. The candidate’s body of research will be considered, including conduct of research as a principal and co-investigator, funding, and dissemination of that research through a variety of mediums.
Please review the criteria and submit a completed application with corresponding rationale supporting candidates who you recommend for this award.
DEADLINE: September 16, 2019
- The candidate must be nominated by a nursing colleague.
- Candidate meets their state of residence’s requirements for CNS recognition by their state board of nursing.
- Active membership in NACNS for at least the past 2 years.
- The candidate must have been educated as a CNS in a masters or doctoral program.
- If selected, the candidate must agree to attend the NACNS annual conference, provide a photo suitable for inclusion in the conference program brochure, and be prepared to present a summary of their research work.
- The candidate will have made significant contributions to autonomous nursing practice through the conduct, and dissemination of their original research.
- History of research has impacted nursing practice, patient/family outcomes, and/or the healthcare system.
- Continued record of dissemination of research findings (publications and presentations).
- Demonstration of research support with funding.
- The candidate has a program of research that furthers the mission and vision of NACNS and supports the CNS role in the context of the NACNS Spheres of Influence.
- Evidence of mentorship in research.
A plaque recognizing the winner will be presented at the NACNS conference and the winner will be featured in the CNS journal. Nontransferable complimentary one day NACNS conference registration will also be awarded.
Applications received by the deadline will undergo review by the selection committee appointed by the Board of Directors. The recipient will be notified by a phone call and written letter from the President of NACNS. All candidate information must be received at the NACNS office by September 16,2019. This deadline will be strictly adhered to in the selection process.
Submit nomination package electronically via the form listed below.
Nomination Packet includes:
- One letter from the nominator, limited to 2-page maximum, written on letterhead and signed; and addressing the following:
- Indicate how the nominator knows the nominee (e.g., in what capacity/role, how long);
- Provide supportive information using the eligibility criteria (items #6 & 7 above) as subheadings, clearly describe the nominee’s work under each criterion/sub-heading. Be specific, not global.
- One a letter of recommendation from a colleague who can speak to the candidate’s CNS work, limited to 2-page maximum. Each of the criteria must be addressed in the letter with examples.
- A copy of the nominee’s current CV/resumé; and
- A brief statement (300-word max; separate document) about the nominee to be used in press releases and when the award is presented at the conference. This statement provides a brief biography of the nominee and exemplar(s) of the nominee’s work. This statement will be used when presenting the award at the Annual Conference and will be used in press releases about the award winner.
- All submissions must be typed copy.
- Selection is made based only on the information submitted.
- All information will remain strictly confidential and will not be returned.
- The winner will be notified by December 2019 and will be asked to submit a picture for recognition at the conference.