The Fifteenth Annual NACNS Clinical Nurse Specialist of the Year Award will be presented during the 2020 Annual Conference in Indianapolis, IN.
The purpose of the award is to nationally recognize an NACNS member for outstanding professional achievement as a Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) in the three spheres of CNS influence. The award acknowledges a nurse who demonstrates CNS competencies and exemplary practice in patient care, nursing and health care delivery systems.
Please review the criteria and submit a completed application with corresponding rationale supporting candidates who you recommend for this award.
DEADLINE: September 16, 2019
- The candidate must be nominated by a nursing colleague and/or nursing supervisor.
- Candidate meets their state of residence’s requirements for CNS recognition by their state board of nursing.
- Active membership in NACNS for at least the past 2 years.
- The candidate must have at least 3 years of experience as a Clinical Nurse Specialist.
- The candidate must have been educated as a CNS in a masters or doctoral program.
- If selected, the candidate must agree to attend the NACNS annual conference and provide a photo suitable for inclusion in the conference program brochure.
- The candidate must serve as a role model to nursing colleagues by:
- Maintaining an outstanding level of skill and knowledge in their specialty area.
- Utilizing or demonstrating CNS competencies in all 3 spheres of influence.
- Demonstrating quality patient outcomes as a result of his/her practice in direct and/or indirect patient/client activities.
- Supporting nurses in the delivery of patient care, safety, or the advancement of nursing practice.
- Promoting change including evidence–based practice/research, knowledge dissemination or collaboration at the system level to improve or impact patient care.
A plaque recognizing the winner will be presented at the NACNS conference and the winner will be featured in the CNS journal. Nontransferable complimentary one day NACNS conference registration will also be awarded.
Applications received by the deadline will undergo review by the selection committee appointed by the Board of Directors. All candidate information must be received at the NACNS office by September 16, 2019. . This deadline will be strictly adhered to in the selection process.
Submit nomination package electronically via the form listed below.
Nomination Packet includes:
- One letter from the nominator, limited to 2-page maximum, written on letterhead and signed; and addressing the following:
- Indicate how the nominator knows the nominee (e.g., in what capacity/role, how long);
- Provide supportive information using the eligibility criteria (item #7 above) as subheadings, clearly describe the nominee’s work under each criterion/sub-heading. Be specific, not global.
- One a letter of recommendation from a colleague who can speak to the candidate’s CNS work, limited to 2-page maximum. Each of the criteria must be addressed in the letter with examples.
- A copy of the nominee’s current CV/resumé; and
- A brief statement (300-word max; separate document) about the nominee to be used in press releases and when the award is presented at the conference. This statement provides a brief biography of the nominee and exemplar(s) of the nominee’s work. This statement will be used when presenting the award at the Annual Conference and will be used in press releases about the award winner.
- All submissions must be typed copy.
- Selection is made based only on the information submitted.
- All information will remain strictly confidential and will not be returned.
- Winner will be notified by December 2019 and will be asked to submit a picture for recognition at the conference.