The Twelfth Annual NACNS Clinical Nurse Specialist Educator of the Year Award will be presented during the 2020 Annual Conference in Indianapolis, IN.
The purpose of the award is to nationally recognize an NACNS member for outstanding professional achievement as a Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) Educator. The award acknowledges a CNS educator’s commitment to excellence and innovation in preparing (novice or student or entry-to-practice) CNSs and in implementing (educational standards described in) the NACNS Statement on CNS Practice and Education.
Please review the criteria and submit a completed application with corresponding rationale supporting candidates who you recommend for this award.
DEADLINE: September 16, 2019
- The candidate must be nominated by a nursing colleague, dean/department chair and/or graduate (CNS) nursing student(s).
- Candidate meets their state of residence’s requirements for CNS recognition by their state board of nursing.
- Active membership in NACNS for at least the past 2 years.
- The candidate must have been educated as a CNS in a masters or doctoral program.
- The candidate must have at least 3-years of experience as a CNS educator.
- If selected, the candidate must agree to attend the NACNS annual conference and provide a photo suitable for inclusion in the conference program brochure.
- The candidate must demonstrate excellence and innovation in CNS education. Examples include:
- Demonstrates outstanding achievements in teaching students to implement the CNS role.
- Established educational, clinical, and/or health policy initiatives that promote CNS education in all 3 spheres of influence.
- Fosters educational approaches to improve nursing (basic and advanced) practice generally and CNS practice specifically.
- Incorporates innovative approaches to enhance inter professional collaboration in education and practice.
- Generates theoretical and practical curricular/clinical approaches that address priorities in CNS education.
- Supports and inspires CNS students in the delivery of patient care, implementing system change and/or the advancement of nursing practice.
- Promotes change through collaboration at the system level to improve or influence CNS education and health policy related to CNS and APRN practice.
A plaque recognizing the winner will be presented at the NACNS conference and the winner will be featured in the CNS journal. Nontransferable complimentary one day NACNS conference registration will also be awarded.
Applications received by the deadline will undergo review by the selection committee appointed by the Board of Directors. The recipient will be notified by a phone call and written letter from the President of NACNS. All candidate information must be received at the NACNS office by September 16,2019. This deadline will be strictly adhered to in the selection process.
Submit nomination package electronically via the form listed below.
Nomination Packet includes:
- One letter from the nominator, limited to 2-page maximum, written on letterhead and signed; and addressing the following:
- Indicate how the nominator knows the nominee (e.g., in what capacity/role, how long);
- Provide supportive information using the eligibility criteria (item #7 above) as subheadings, clearly describe the nominee’s work under each criterion/sub-heading. Be specific, not global.
- One a letter of recommendation from a colleague who can speak to the candidate’s CNS work in education, limited to 2-page maximum. Each of the criteria must be addressed in the letter with examples.
- A copy of the nominee’s current CV/resumé; and
- A brief statement (300-word max; separate document) about the nominee to be used in press releases and when the award is presented at the conference. This statement provides a brief biography of the nominee and exemplar(s) of the nominee’s work. This statement will be used when presenting the award at the Annual Conference and will be used in press releases about the award winner.
- All submissions must be typed copy.
- Selection is made based only on the information submitted.
- All information will remain strictly confidential and will not be returned.
- Winner will be notified by December 2019 and will be asked to submit a picture for recognition at the conference.