National Awards Recognize Clinical Nurse Specialists for Outstanding Professional Achievement
RESTON, VA – March 23, 2022 – The National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (NACNS) recently unveiled its 2022 award winners, president, president-elect and new board of directors at its Annual Conference. Phyllis Whitehead, PhD, APRN/CNS, ACHPN, PMGT-BC, FNAP, FAAN was elected president and Mitzi Saunders, PhD, APRN, CNS-C. was elected president-elect of NACNS. New board members include:
- Rick Bassett, MSN, RN, APRN, ACNS-BC, CCRN, FCNS
- Susan Dresser, PhD, MSN, APRN-CNS, FCNS
- Cherrie Pullium, DNP APRN ACNS-BC, FCNS
NACNS is the national, non-profit organization representing the 89,000 clinical nurse specialists (CNS) in the United States and is dedicated to advancing the practice and education of CNSs. CNSs are one of the four Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN).
Twelve CNS Award Winners Honored
The twelve award winners were honored for their professional achievements and contributions to advancing the CNS profession in the United States. Award winners were nominated and selected to receive the honors by their APRN peers. More NACNS Award Program information can be found here.
“These twelve award winners represent everything CNSs stand for; professionalism, community, and excellence,” said Phyllis Whitehead, PhD, APRN/CNS, ACHPN, PMGT-BC, FNAP, FAAN and president, NACNS. “In 2022 we are looking forward to honoring these and more CNSs who have shown exceptional dedication to the profession.”
2022 NACNS National Award Winners
- Clinical Nurse Specialist of the Year: 2022 Recipient: Kathleen Hopkins, MSN, RN, ACNS-BC
- Clinical Nurse Specialist Educator of the Year Award: 2022 Recipient: Lynn Mohr, PhD, APRN, PCNS-BC, CPN, FCNS
- Clinical Nurse Specialist Evidence-Based Practice / Quality Improvement of the Year Award: 2022 Recipient: Lynne Brophy, MSN, PGMT-BC, APRN-CNS, AOCN
- Armed Forces Clinical Nurse Specialist of the Year Award: 2022 Recipient: Wendy Hamilton, DNP, APRN, AGCNS-BC, RN-BC
- Rising Star Clinical Nurse Specialist of the Year Award: 2022 Recipient: Kayla Little, MSN, APRN, AGCNS-BC, PCCN
- Clinical Nurse Specialist Researcher of the Year Award: 2022 Recipient: Tina Mason, PhD, APRN, AOCN, AOCNS, FCNS
- NACNS Affiliate of the Year Award: 2022 Recipient: Virginia Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Clinical Nurse Specialist Mentor of the Year Award: 2022 Recipient: Commander Karen Flanagan, ACCNS-AG, AGACNP-BC, CEN
- Clinical Nurse Specialist Preceptor of the Year Award: 2022 Recipient: Jennie Matays, MS, RN, CNS, CCNS, CCRN
- Sue B. Davidson Service Award: 2022 Recipient: Lynn Mohr, PhD, APRN, PCNS-BC, CPN, FCNS
- Brenda Lyon Leadership Award: 2022 Recipient: Kimberly Elgin DNP, APRN, ACNS-BC, PCCN, CMSRN
- President’s Award: 2022 Recipient: Sean M. Reed, PhD, APRN, ACNS-BC, ACHPN, FCNS
About The National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists
The National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (NACNS) is the only national association representing the clinical nurse specialist (CNS). CNSs are the most versatile advanced practice registered nurses and work in a variety of health care specialties to ensure delivery of high-quality, evidence-based, patient-centered care. As leaders in the acute, post-acute, and ambulatory health care settings, CNSs impact direct patient care, nurses and nursing practice, and organizations and systems to optimize care and drive outstanding clinical outcomes. NACNS is dedicated to advancing CNS practice and education and removing unnecessary and limiting regulatory barriers, while assuring public access to quality CNS services. For more information or to join NACNS click here.