National Awards Recognizes Clinical Nurse Specialists for Outstanding Achievement and Contributions Advancing the Profession
RESTON, VA – March 25, 2020 – The National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (NACNS) unveiled its 2020 award winners at its 25th Annual Conference last week. The six award winners were honored for their professional achievement and contributions to advancing the clinical nurse specialists (CNS) profession. NACNS is the only national organization representing thousands of CNSs and dedicated to advancing the practice and education of CNSs. Award winners were selected to receive the honors by their professional nursing peers.
“The unique expertise and consistent value these six clinical nurse specialists have contributed to health care significantly advance the CNS profession by differentiating the CNS skill-set from that of other advanced practice registered nurses,” said Sean M. Reed, PhD, APN, ACNS-BC, ACHPN, NACNS President. “Their contributions across a broad range of health care settings and specialties are leading to improved patient outcomes as well as greater support for CNS professional development programs.”
The NACNS’ Annual Award Program recognizes significant achievements and contributions from individual members and affiliates for raising the profile of the CNS, fostering research and improving practice, educational opportunities and service.
About The National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists 2020 Award Winners
For a description of each award winner’s achievements and contributions click here.
Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) Of The Year Award honors a CNS for outstanding professional achievement demonstrating exemplary practice in patient care, nursing and health care delivery systems.
- Award Winner: Kathy M. Williams, MSN, RN-BC, APRN, AHCNS-BC, Adult Health Clinical Nurse Specialist/Master Clinician, U.S. Air Force, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida
CNS Educator of the Year Award recognizes an NACNS member for outstanding professional achievement as a CNS educator and acknowledges his/her commitment to excellence and innovation.
- Award Winner: Gayle M. Timmerman, , RN, CNS, FNP, FAAN, Associate Professor and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, University of Texas at Austin, School of Nursing,
CNS Evidence-based Practice/Quality Improvement of the Year Award is bestowed annually on a NACNS member who has successfully implemented evidence-based practice and quality improvement changes that had a significant impact on nursing practice and patient and family outcomes.
- Award Winner: Erica A. Fischer-Cartlidge, DNP, CNS, CBCN, AOCNS, Nurse Leader, Evidence-based Practice, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York
Susan B. Davidson Service Award recognizes extraordinary service to NACNS.
- Award Winner: Susan B. Fowler, PhD, RN, CNRN, FAHA, Nurse Scientist, Orlando Health, Orlando, Florida
Brenda Lyon Leadership Award distinguishes an individual who has demonstrated exemplary leadership in service to NACNS.
- Award Winner: Susan Dresser, PhD, RN APRN-CNS, CCRN FCNS, Clinical Assistant Professor and Director, Adult-Gerontology CNS Program, University of Oklahoma Fran and Earl Ziegler College of Nursing, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
President’s Award recognizes an individual or entity for extraordinary service and contributions to NACNS and the accomplishment of its mission.
- Award Winner: Anne E. Hysong, MSN, APRN, CCNS, ACNS-BC, FCNS, Critical Care Clinical Nurse Specialist, Northside Hospital, Duluth, Ga
About The National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists
The National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (NACNS) is the only national association representing the clinical nurse specialist (CNS). CNSs are the most versatile advanced practice registered nurses and work in a variety of health care specialties to ensure delivery of high-quality, evidence-based, patient-centered care. As leaders in the acute, post-acute, and ambulatory health care settings, CNSs impact direct patient care, nurses and nursing practice, and organizations and systems to optimize care and drive outstanding clinical outcomes. NACNS is dedicated to advancing CNS practice and education and removing unnecessary and limiting regulatory barriers, while assuring public access to quality CNS services. For more information or to join NACNS click here